Saturday, August 20, 2011

30 Rocks!


Those who have talked to me recently know that I am insanely obsessed with Pinterest. Recently while browsing all of the wonderful ideas on the highly addictive website, I came across an idea for a 30th birthday gift (photo below). I thought, this is cute and all but I strongly disagree with this statement. While not 30 yet, I am looking forward to my 30s very much. Thus, this idea inspired me to run with it in the opposite direction. My take on this gift idea is simple and was quite a hit so feel free to steal away and make someone feel better about their big day because your 30s shouldn’t suck, they should ROCK!!!

What you’ll need:
From your local craft store:
Styrofoam
4.5" x 4.5" wooden Box 
Paint – I used acrylic because I always have that around. You can also get craft paint if you’d like
From your local candy store:
30 sticks of Rock Candy
½ a pound of Chockorocks or you could also use Pop Rocks
From your favorite local boutique:
An awesome ring

What you'll do:
The wooden box I found had a lid - so I began by removing that. It's real easy - you just remove the screws. Then cut your styrofoam with an exacto knife to fit inside the box. You'll want it nice and snug. You'll also want to cut it to be a little shorter than the box (to allow room for the candy to sit without falling out).
Next, paint the box. Whatever color you want, whatever pattern you'd like. 
I decided to hand paint "30 Rocks!" on the front of the box. You can do the same or print a label and stick it on, stencil it on, you get the hint. 
Once your paint is dry - begin sticking those sticks of Rock Candy in. I poked a hole with a screwdriver to allow the candy to be inserted a little easier. 
Once your Rock Candy is in place, slide your pretty ring onto the piece of your choice. 
Finally, pour your Chockorocks or Pop Rocks onto the styrofoam until you've covered it all. 
Then, smile. You're done!

Their "30 Sucks" Idea


Detail of my "30 Rocks!" Idea


The Birthday Girl:
This gift went to one of my besties, Ashely, and her 30th did rock! We had sushi at Domo and went dancing at The Levee where they have live music every weekend. If you are in the Kansas City area, I highly recommend both. 

Happy Birthday Ashley! I love you!



P.S. Let me know if you’d like an invite to Pinterest. I love to spread the addiction.
P.P.S. I got my candy from the Nifty Nut House - they are amazing
And my boutique of choice was francesca's.


Not feeling crafty? Order a customized Rocks gift at my shop!




No comments:

Post a Comment