Friday, November 18, 2011

Mixology


At a very early age I became obsessed with the idea of mixed tapes.

In the early years I had the notion that my singing voice was just fabulous and although it was not, each birthday that rolled around brought a new karaoke machine with it. Somehow I managed to get my hands on the big red song book from our church and would lock myself away to record song after song for the Christmas mixes that would become the most anticipated gifts for my parents and godparents;)

In middle school my obsession for recording mixed tapes soon became one replaced with mixes made from my favorite songs on the radio. In high school, my obsession continued. Mixed CDs were my go-to gifts for Father’s Day, Mother’s Day and so on.

Then came college where I found my future Mr. who loves mixes as much as I do! And he wasn’t the only one. He and a few of his greatest pals decided to begin swapping monthly mixes to expand their musical collections. The fellas invited me to join their elite group which continues still today. And so, as often as we can, we swap mixes with our music loving friends and family. 

Although the pencil and the tape have been surpassed by the CD and the permanent marker which has of course been surpassed by the iPod and the finger, the love of mixology is still living strong. 

Here are our Fall Mixes. Most are linked to YouTube for sampling and for your video enjoyment. All can be found on iTunes.
Listen. Download. Enjoy.

Fall Into ItJulie’s Fall 2011 Mix

1.            Doo Right by Man Man     
2.            Sutphin Boulevard by Blood Orange  
3.            How Deep Is Your Love? by The Rapture   
4.            The Look by Metronomy
5.            Surgeon by St. Vincent 
6.            Go Outside by Cults    
7.            I Want a House by Twin Sister 
8.            99 Problems  by Hugo
9.            Ain't It So by PAPA  
10.        You and Me by Penny & The Quarters    
11.        Coming Down by Dum Dum Girls   
12.        Psychic City (Voodoo City) by YACHT      
13.        Money by The Drums  
14.        Cuckoo by Still Corners        
15.        Rabbit Habits by Man Man   
16.        Up Up Up by Givers     
17.        Underage by The Hidden Cameras        
18.        I’ll Take Care of U by Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx      
19.        Don't Stop the Music by Jamie Cullum    

Crasher 13 – Tray’s Fall 2011 Mix

1.           The Ghost Who Walks by Karen Elson       
2.            Instant Photo by Louise Goffin 
3.           Writer's Block by Just Jack        
4.           Rich Girls by The Virgins
5.           Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? by She & Him     
6.           Dusty Boxcar Wall by Eilen Jewell
7.           Wherever You Were by Holly Golightly       
8.            Jeepster by T. Rex  
9.            96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians        
10.        Get Around Town by Revolver       
11.        Lust for Life by Girls     
12.        Walkabout (with Noah Lennox) by Atlas Sound                
13.        Lose It by Austra        
14.        Young Adult Friction by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart          
15.        Pull My Heart Away by Jack Peñate        
16.        Something Good Can Work by Two Door Cinema Club              
17.        This Too Shall Pass by OK Go        
18.        Black & Blue by Miike Snow  
19.        Lua by Bright Eyes      
20.        Pocket Full of Stars by Nine Black Alps   
21.        Heartbeats by José González         

No comments:

Post a Comment